Description

The Weekly Pop Culture Audio Podcast Featuring In-Depth One On One Interviews and Discussions From The Entertainment Worlds Of Genre Fiction-
Comic Books, Novels, Television, Film, Video Games And More. Created In 2005 By Chicago Radio/TV Host John Siuntres

Word Balloon Live

Listen and Download The Word Balloon Podcast

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Documentary The Masters Of Comic Book Art Filmmaker Ken Viola



Ken Discusses his 1987 documentary which features candid Interviews with Jack Kirby Harvey Kurtzman  Neal Adams Will Eisner Art Spiegelman Dave Sim, Frank Miller, Bernie Wrightson and narrated by Harlan Ellison.

Great Behind the scenes stories about interviewing these men and making this film

Listen to "Documentary The Masters Of Comic Book Art Filmmaker Ken Viola" on Spreaker. 


1 comment:

Daniel said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this interview. I bought a VHS copy of this film as a 14-year-old back in 1987 from an ad in Comics Buyers Guide (if I remember correctly). I watched and re-watched it so many times that I lost count. To younger people today, it's difficult to explain how unique it was back in the pre-internet, pre-podcasting days to see and hear your favorite cartoonists speak. I found it absolutely fascinating, and still do. For a 30+ year-old documentary, it holds up remarkably well. I only wish that each of the interviews had been longer.

I loved this film so much that (in the pre-YouTube days of the early 2000s) I had my (purchased) VHS copy transferred to DVD (and later on had the DVD converted to an mp4 which I now keep on my laptop as part of my permanent film collection).

I've always wanted to know more about this film, which was so personally important to me, and the person who made it. Thank you again.